Nickel-based super alloy: Alloy 31 (UNS N08031)
What is alloy 31?
Alloy 31 ( UNS N08031) nickel base alloy is a kind of iron nickel chromium molybdenum alloy containing nitrogen. Its properties are between super austenitic stainless steel and existing nickel base alloy. Alloy 31 (n08031) nickel base alloy is suitable for chemical and petrochemical industry, environmental engineering, oil and gas production and other industrial fields.
Designated as UNS N08031 or DIN W.Nr. 1.4562, Alloy 31 is an iron-nickel-chromium-molybdenum alloy with nitrogen and copper additions which has hybridized properties of austenitic super stainless steels and regular nickel alloys. Alloy 31 has exceptional corrosion resistance to alkaline & halide-containing media, sulfuric acid, phosphoric acid, chlorine dioxide media, nitric acid as well as reducing & oxidizing medias. It is widely used in offshore & marine industries, chemical & petrochemical processing, pharmaceutical piping, oil and gas extraction, and ore digestion plants. Especially, alloy 31 can be used for the fabrication of pressure vessels which may endure a wide temperature-range from cryogenic level to elevated temperatures(-196°C to 550 °C).
(UNS N08031) Alloy 31 weld neck flanges
|EN Material Symbol||X1NiCrMoCu32-28-7|
|Trademark||Nicrofer 3127 hMo|
|ISO||ISO 15156/MR 0175|
|VdTÜV Data Sheet||509|
Chemical Composition of Alloy 31 (UNS N08031)
|0 – 0,015||0 – 0,3||0 – 2,0||0 – 0,02||0 – 0,01||26 – 28,0||6,0 – 7,0||30 – 32,0|
|0,15 – 0,25||1,0 – 1,4||Rest|
Mechanical Properties of Alloy 31 (UNS N08031)
|Tensile Strength, min.||Yield Strength, min.||Elongation, min.||Hardness, min|
Physical Properties of Alloy 31 (UNS N08031)
|Density||Melting Range||Permeability||Electrical Resistivity|
Product Forms and Standards
|Plate, sheet and strip||ASTM A240, A480|
|Seamless pipe and tube||ASTM A213|
|Welded tube||ASTM A249|
Filler metal (for welding with 1.4562)
- Welding Rod Nicrofer S 5923 – FM 59 (Material Designation 2.4607)
- UNS N06059
- Covered electrode 2.4609
- UNS W86059
- AWS A5.11: ENiCrMo-13
- DIN EN ISO 14172: E Ni 6059 (NiCr23Mo16)
Characteristics of Alloy 31 (UNS N08031)
|Temperature Range||Material for wet corrosion|
|Elongation at break of Alloy 31||≥ 40 %|
|ISO-V notch impact toughness||
≥ 185 J/cm² at room temperature
≥ 140 J/cm² at -196°C
Applications of Alloy 31 (UNS N08031)
Alloy31 is an iron-nickel-chromium-molybdenum alloy with nitrogen addition. The alloy fills the gap between special alloyed austenitic stainless steels and nickel alloys. Alloy 31 has been proven especially in the chemical and petrochemical industry, in ore extractors, environmental and marine engineering as well as in oil and gas production.
- Piping system, water purification system, marine engineering and hydraulic piping perfusion system.
- The pipeline, joint, air systems in the acidic gas production.
- Evaporator, the heat exchanger, filter, mixer, etc. in the phosphate production.
- Power plants condensation and pipe system in the use of sewage water to cool water.
- The use of acidic organic catalyst chlorinated derivatives production.
- The production of cellulose pulp,Polished bar in the orrosive oil wells.
- Hose system in the oceanngineering,Flue gas desulphurization system components.
- Sulfuric acid condensation and separation system,Crystalline salt concentration and the evaporator.
- Transport of corrosive chemicals containers,Reverse osmosis desalination plan.
- Heat exchange tubes
- Pipe fittings
Source: China Alloy 31 Flanges Manufcturer – Yaang Pipe Industry (www.steeljrv.com)
(Yaang Pipe Industry is a leading manufacturer and supplier of nickel alloy and stainless steel products, including Super Duplex Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Stainless Steel Pipe. Yaang products are widely used in Shipbuilding, Nuclear power, Marine engineering, Petroleum, Chemical, Mining, Sewage treatment, Natural gas and Pressure vessels and other industries.)
If you want to have more information about the article or you want to share your opinion with us, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please notice that you might be interested in the other technical articles we’ve published:
- Super austenitic stainless steel: 254SMO (UNS S31254，F44，1.4547)
- Nickel Alloy: Hastelloy C-276 (UNS N10276)
- Nickel Alloy: Monel 400 (UNS N04400)
- Austenitic Stainless Steel: 904L (UNS N08904)
- Nickel Alloy: Nickel 200 (UNS N02200)/Nickel 201 (UNS N02201)
- Nickel-based super alloy: inconel 625 (UNS N06625/W.Nr. 2.4856)
- Nickel-based super alloy: hastelloy X (UNS NO6002/W.Nr 2.4665)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 800 (UNS N08800/W.Nr. 1.4876)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 800H (UNS N08810/W.Nr. 1.4958)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 825 (UNS N08825/W.Nr. 2.4858)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 20 (UNS N08020/DIN 2.4660)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 330 (UNS N08330/W.Nr. 1.4886)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 925 (Alloy 925/UNS N08925)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 840 (Alloy 840/UNS S33400)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy A-286 (UNS S66286/W Nr.1.4980)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 901 (UNS N09901)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 926 (UNS N08926/W.Nr.1.4529)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Incoloy 803 (UNS S35045)