Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy C-2000 (UNS N06200)
What is Hastelloy C-2000?
Hastelloy C-2000 (UNS N06200) is a unique multi-functional Ni Cr Mo alloy material, which contains a deliberately added copper. This greatly increases the resistance to sulfuric acid. It also has a high chromium content to maximize resistance to oxidizing chemicals and process streams contaminated by iron ions and dissolved oxygen.
Hastelloy C-2000, named UNS N06200, is a kind of Ni Cr Mo alloy. Adding a certain amount of copper into sulfuric acid, hydrofluoric acid and dilute hydrochloric acid can improve its temperature performance. The high chromium content allows it to maximize resistance to oxidizing chemicals and process streams contaminated by iron ions and dissolved oxygen. The alloy has excellent chloride corrosion resistance and corrosion resistance. UNS N06200 alloy is widely used in chemical reactor, heat exchanger, petrochemical pipeline, pharmaceutical industry and gas desulfurization system.
Hastelloy C-2000 (N06200, 2.4675) Hastelloy alloy is a nickel base superalloy composed of nickel, molybdenum, chromium and other elements, with a nickel content of about 55%.
Hastelloy C-2000 Hastelloy alloy, as an optimized alloy developed to expand the application range of materials, started with the conceptual idea of adding copper to the established Ni Cr Mo alloy. Since it entered the market at the end of 1995, it has been constantly recognized by the market, thanks to its inherent versatility. The technical innovation not only improves the resistance of alloy to water corrosion, but also expands the application range of Ni Cr Mo family alloys. The new material is designed to resist more corrosive chemicals, including sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid and hydrofluoric acid. Compared with the previously optimized Ni Cr Mo alloy which can only resist oxidation or reducing acid, C-2000 Hastelloy has corrosion resistance in both environments. The combined action of molybdenum and copper (at 16% and 1.6% levels respectively) makes the alloy have excellent resistance to reducing medium corrosion, and the high chromium content (23% wt) ensures the resistance to corrosion in oxidizing media.
From the engineering point of view, C-2000 Hastelloy provides a great potential to improve production. When used in the original Ni Cr Mo alloy, its enhanced corrosion resistance can obtain longer equipment life under the same material thickness and higher safety factor under worse conditions. The improvement of corrosion resistance in various aspects enables the equipment to be used for multiple purposes (reactor, heat exchanger, valve, pump, etc.) so as to receive a greater return on investment. For example, one reactor can adapt to another working condition of hydrochloric acid mixture and then convert into nitric acid based mixture. Because of its various abilities, C-2000 Hastelloy is the best nickel base alloy material which can adapt to various processes. The corrosion resistance of ni-2000 alloy in various environments is excellent. The excellent performance of C-2000 makes a breakthrough in the application of chemical industry equipment.
High chromium content is used to resist corrosion in oxidizing media such as iron, copper and dissolved oxygen. Reducing media, such as dilute hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid, require high molybdenum and tungsten content. The limitation of metallurgical stability makes it impossible to optimize both at the same time. Hastelloy C-2000 alloy solves the design dilemma of this alloy.
High chromium content combined with molybdenum and copper gives excellent resistance to reductive environmental corrosion without sacrificing metallurgical stability. C-2000 alloy shows better pitting and crevice corrosion resistance than C-276 alloy, which is the industrial standard. Its forming, welding and machining properties are similar to those of C-276. C-2000 alloy has various shapes of products: plate, sheet, forging billet, bar, wire rod, welding rod and pipe. The forged products are delivered by final solution heat treatment, unless the customer has special needs. The alloy has been listed in ASTM B562-564, B564-B, 564-B, and B566-B. The DIN standard number is NO.2.4675, and nicr23mo16cu. The unified number of C-2000 alloy UNS is N06200, but there are more strict composition control to improve the performance.
Characteristics of Hastelloy C-2000 (UNS N06200)
- Excellent oxidation resistance at high temperature(>1200℃)).
- Good high-temperature strength.
- Good formability and weldability.
- Good resistance to stress corrosion cracking.
Hastelloy C-2000 Forged Elbow 1″ 3000#
Types of Hastelloy
- Hastelloy B-3 nickel molybdenum alloy has excellent corrosion resistance in reducing environment.
- The upgraded version of Hastelloy B-3: B-3 has excellent corrosion resistance to hydrochloric acid at any temperature and concentration.
- Hastelloy C-4: good thermal stability, good toughness and corrosion resistance at 650-1040 ℃.
- Hastelloy C-22: has better uniform corrosion resistance than C-4 and C-276 in oxidizing medium and excellent local corrosion resistance.
- Hastelloy C-276: good resistance to oxidizing and moderate reducing corrosion, excellent resistance to stress corrosion.
- Hastelloy C-2000: the most comprehensive corrosion resistant alloy with excellent uniform corrosion resistance in oxidation and reduction environments.
- Hastelloy G-35: the upgraded product of G-30 has better corrosion resistance and thermal stability, and has excellent performance in phosphoric acid and other strong oxidizing mixed acid media with high chromium content.
- Hastelloy X: combined with the characteristics of high strength, oxidation resistance and easy processing, each of the above grades has its own specific chemical composition, mechanical properties and strong points, so we can’t generalize the characteristics of Hastelloy.
Hastelloy alloy is mainly divided into three series B, C and G. it is mainly used in iron-based Cr Ni or Cr Ni Mo stainless steel, non-metallic materials and other occasions with strong corrosive medium.
In order to improve the corrosion resistance and cold and hot working properties of Hastelloy, three major improvements have been made to Hastelloy:
- Series B: B → B-3 (00ni70mo28) → B-3
- Series C: C → C-276 (00cr16mo16w4) → C-4 (00cr16mo16) → X (00cr22mo13w3) → C-2000 (00cr20mo16)
- G Series: G → G-3 (00cr22ni48mo7cu) → G-30 (00cr30ni48mo7cu)
- The most widely used materials are N06200 (B-3), N10276 (C-276), N06200 (X), N06455 (C-4) and N06985 (G-3)
Chemical Composition of Hastelloy C-2000 (UNS N06200)
Equivalent Grades of Hastelloy C-2000 (UNS N06200)
|Hastelloy C-2000||NS3405||–||–||Hastelloy C-2000||N06200||NiCr23Mo16Cu||2.4675||–||–||–|
Physical Properties of Hastelloy C-2000 (UNS N06200)
|Density||Specific Heat||Melting Range||Elastic modulus (GPa)||Thermal conductivity||Hardness||Coefficient of thermal expansion||Operating temperature|
|lb/in3||g/cm3||Btu/lb.°F||J/kg.°C||°F||°C||( W/(m•K)||(HRC)||(25-100℃)(μm/m°C)||(°C )|
Product Forms and Standards of Hastelloy C-2000
|Sheet, Plate & Strip||ASTM B575|
|Billet, Rod & Bar||ASTM B574, B472|
|Coated Electrodes||DIN 2.4699|
|Bare Welding Rods & Wire||DIN 2.4698|
|Seamless Pipe & Tube||ASTM B622|
|Welded Pipe & Tube||ASTM B619, B626|
|Fittings||ASTM B366, B462|
|Forgings||ASTM B564, B462|
The weldability of Hastelloy C-2000 (n06200, 2.4675):
- 1. Good safe working conditions shall be established before welding. Proper protection shall be provided for welders, space restriction shall be avoided and sufficient ventilation shall be provided. Be sure to follow ANSI / ASC z49.1-88 welding and cutting safety recommendations.
- 2. The welding surface and surrounding area shall be thoroughly cleaned and degreased before welding.
- 3. Ni Cr Mo alloy has the characteristics of low penetration, which requires proper welding angle and minimum welding surface.
- 4. The interlayer temperature should be controlled below 93 ℃ without overheating. (especially for welding of thin parts).
- 5. Welding metal is viscous flow, so it requires some welding torch operation which is usually necessary. Increasing the current does not significantly increase the metal fluidity in the molten pool.
- 6. Oxyacetylene flame welding and submerged arc welding are not recommended.
- 7. The welding rod that has not been opened can not be dried. However, the unused electrode must be stored in the furnace with the temperature between 121 ℃ and 204 ℃.
- 8. In gas shielded arc welding (tungsten or metal electrode), 100% argon is used for root pass welding. In manual arc welding, the back of the root pass must be polished.
- 9. For gas tungsten arc welding, it is suggested to use the arc welding power source with high frequency start and sag control. The torch with gas diffusion lens can provide the best gas protection.
- 10. It is not appropriate to de stress Ni Cr Mo alloy at about 650 ℃. Generally, heat treatment is not required after welding, but if stress relief is required, complete solution annealing at 1149 ℃ and water quenching are recommended.
- 11. If the oxidizing shielding gas exceeds 1% in metal shielded gas arc welding, it is recommended to polish the weld bead after each welding pass.
- 12. For gas shielded metal arc welding (GMAW) spray transfer and collaborative transfer (over 120a), it is recommended to use water-cooled nozzle.
Application areas of nickel-based alloy Hastelloy C-2000 (UNS N06200):
Due to its corrosion resistance to all kinds of atmosphere at high temperatures,and excellent high-temperature strength, Hastelloy C-2000 has been widely used in various high temperature environment. Some of the more common uses of Hastelloy C-2000 include:
- Wire wound resistors.
- Bimetal contacts.
- Electric and electronic applications.
- Marine engineering.
- Chemical and hydrocarbon processing equipment.
- Gasoline and freshwater tanks.
- Crude petroleum stills.
- De-aerating heaters.
- Boiler feed water heaters and other heat exchangers.
- Pumps, shafts and fasteners.
- Industrial heat exchangers.
- Chlorinated solvents.
- Crude oil distillation towers.
- Meter and valve parts.
- Screw machine products.
- Oil refinery piping.
- Heat exchangers.
- Nuclear fuel production.
- Generator tubing.
- High temperature heating coils.
- Crude oil transfer piping.
- Propeller and pump shafts.
- Piping system.
- Heat exchange tubes.
- Pipe fittings.
Variety specifications and supply status of Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy C-2000 (UNS N06200):
Yaang Pipe Industry can produce various specifications of Hastelloy C-2000 seamless pipe, Hastelloy C-2000 steel plate, Hastelloy C-2000 round bar, Hastelloy C-2000 forgings, Hastelloy C-2000 flange, Hastelloy C-2000 pipe fittings, Hastelloy C-2000 welded pipe, Hastelloy C-2000 steel strip, Hastelloy C-2000 wire and supporting welding materials.
- Seamless pipe: solid solution + acid white, length can be set;
- Plate: solid solution, pickling, trimming;
- Welded pipe: solid solution acid white + RT% flaw detection;
- Forging: annealing + car polish; Bars are forged and rolled, surface polished or car polished;
- Strips are delivered after cold rolling, solid solution soft state, and deoxidized;
- Wire rods are finely ground in solid solution pickled disk or straight strips, solid solution straight strips Delivery in light state.
Source: China Hastelloy C-2000 Flanges Manufcturer – Yaang Pipe Industry (www.steeljrv.com)
(Yaang Pipe Industry is a leading manufacturer and supplier of nickel alloy and stainless steel products, including Super Duplex Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Stainless Steel Pipe. Yaang products are widely used in Shipbuilding, Nuclear power, Marine engineering, Petroleum, Chemical, Mining, Sewage treatment, Natural gas and Pressure vessels and other industries.)
If you want to have more information about the article or you want to share your opinion with us, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please notice that you might be interested in the other technical articles we’ve published:
- Nickel Alloy: Hastelloy C-276 (UNS N10276)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy B2 (UNS N10665)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy B3 (UNS N10675)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy X (UNS N06002)