Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
What is Hastelloy C-22?
Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022/W.Nr. 2.4602/Alloy C-22) is a kind of nickel-based superalloy with nickel, molybdenum, cobalt, tungsten and other elements, containing about 60% nickel. It is an all-purpose ni-Cr-Mo alloy with better overall corrosion resistance than other existing NI-Cr-Mo alloys, including Hastelloy C-276, 625 alloys. Hastelloy C22 alloy has good resistance to pitting corrosion, crevice corrosion and stress corrosion cracking. It has excellent antioxidant properties in aqueous media, including wet chlorine, nitric acid or mixed acids containing oxidizing acids containing chloride ions.
At the same time, Hastelloy C22 (N06022) Hastelloy alloy also has the ideal ability to resist the reducing and oxidizing environment encountered in the process. With this versatile performance, it can be used in some troublesome environments, or in a variety of production target factories. Hastelloy C22 (N06022) alloy has abnormal resistance to all kinds of chemical environment, including strong oxidizing substances, such as ferric chloride, copper chloride, chlorine, thermal pollution solution. Liquid (organic and inorganic), formic acid, acetic acid, acetic anhydride, sea water, salt solution, etc. Hastelloy C22 (N06022) alloy has the ability to resist the formation of grain boundary precipitation in the welding heat affected zone, so that it can adapt to the application of many chemical processes in the welding state.
Characteristics of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
- Excellent resistance to oxidizing aqueous media including wet chlorine and mixtures containing nitric acid or oxidizing acids with chloride ions;
- Offers optimum resistance to environments where reducing and oxidizing conditions are encountered in process streams;
- Exceptional resistance to a wide variety of chemical process environments, including strong oxidizers such as ferric and cupric chlorides, chlorine, hot contaminated solutions (organic and inorganic), formic and acetic acids, acetic anhydride, and seawater and brine solutions;
- Resists the formation of grain boundary precipitates in the weld heat-affected zone, thus making it suitable for most chemical process applications in the as-welded condition.
Hastelloy C-22 Forged Elbow 1″ 3000#
Types of Hastelloy
- Hastelloy B-3 nickel molybdenum alloy has excellent corrosion resistance in reducing environment
- The upgraded version of Hastelloy B-3: B-3 has excellent corrosion resistance to hydrochloric acid at any temperature and concentration
- Hastelloy C-4: good thermal stability, good toughness and corrosion resistance at 650-1040 ℃
- Hastelloy C-22: has better uniform corrosion resistance than C-4 and C-276 in oxidizing medium and excellent local corrosion resistance
- Hastelloy C-276: good resistance to oxidizing and moderate reducing corrosion, excellent resistance to stress corrosion
- Hastelloy C-2000: the most comprehensive corrosion resistant alloy with excellent uniform corrosion resistance in oxidation and reduction environments
- Hastelloy G-35: the upgraded product of G-30 has better corrosion resistance and thermal stability, and has excellent performance in phosphoric acid and other strong oxidizing mixed acid media with high chromium content
- Hastelloy X: combined with the characteristics of high strength, oxidation resistance and easy processing, each of the above grades has its own specific chemical composition, mechanical properties and strong points, so we can’t generalize the characteristics of Hastelloy.
Hastelloy alloy is mainly divided into three series B, C and G. it is mainly used in iron-based Cr Ni or Cr Ni Mo stainless steel, non-metallic materials and other occasions with strong corrosive medium.
In order to improve the corrosion resistance and cold and hot working properties of Hastelloy, three major improvements have been made to Hastelloy:
- Series B: B → B-3 (00ni70mo28) → B-3
- Series C: C → C-276 (00cr16mo16w4) → C-4 (00cr16mo16) → C-22 (00cr22mo13w3) → C-2000 (00cr20mo16)
- G Series: G → G-3 (00cr22ni48mo7cu) → G-30 (00cr30ni48mo7cu)
- The most widely used materials are N06022 (B-3), N10276 (C-276), N06022 (C-22), N06455 (C-4) and N06985 (G-3)
Chemical Composition of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
Equivalent Grades of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
|Hastelloy C-22||NS3308||–||–||Hastelloy C-22||N06022||NiCr21Mo14W||2.4602||–||–||–|
Physical Properties of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
|Density||Electrical Resistivity||Specific Heat||Melting Range|
Mechanical Properties of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
|Density, g/cm3||Melting Point, ℃||Tensile Strength, MPa||Yield Strength, MPa||Elongation,%|
Product Forms and Standards of Hastelloy C-22
|Sheet, Plate & Strip||ASTM B575|
|Billet, Rod & Bar||ASTM B574, B472|
|Coated Electrodes||DIN 2.4638|
|Bare Welding Rods & Wire||DIN 2.4635|
|Seamless Pipe & Tube||ASTM B622|
|Welded Pipe & Tube||ASTM B619, B626|
|Fittings||ASTM B366, B462|
|Forgings||ASTM B564, B462|
Forming processing of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
Can be readily cold or hot formed. After hot forming, or severe cold forming, the parts should be solution heat treated.
Machinability of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
Machining is best accomplished using high speed steel tooling for drilling operations. Carbide tools work well for turning or milling. Drilling (high speed steel) speeds 10-15 surface feet /minute with feeds of 0.001″ (for 1/8 ” dia. hole) to 0.007″ (for 1″ dia. hole) per revolution. Turning (carbide tools) at 90 to 110 surface feet per minute and feed of 0.010″ (for roughing) to 0.006″ (for finishing). Machining may be done dry or with conventional coolants.
Forging of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
Hot forging can be done in the temperature range of 2100 F. A solution heat treatment should be performed after forging.
Hot Working of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
Hot working may be done followed by a solution anneal heat treatment.
Cold Working of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
The alloy has very good ductility and, although stiffer than the austenitic stainless steels, cold working is the preferred means of forming. Severe cold working may cause work hardening and in this event a solution heat treatment may be used to restore the original mechanical properties of the alloy.
Aging of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
- The alloy may be aged at temperatures of 950 F to 1900 F for some increase in hardness and tensile strength (about 3% gain). However aging (or long exposure) at temperatures above 1400 F results in degradation of V-notch impact strength.
Welding of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
Readily welded by conventional methods, except that submerged arc welding should be avoided due to the high heat input and slow cooling of that method. Clean the weld areas thoroughly before welding and use matching filler metal ER NiCrMo-10 and E NiCrMo-10 for GTAW and SMAC methods respectively. This alloy may be used in the as welded form for most applications as it resists grain boundary precipitates during welding.
Heat treatment of Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022)
Solution anneal at 2050 F followed by a rapid quench.
Application areas of nickel-based alloy Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022):
Hastelloy C22 alloy has been widely used in chemical and petrochemical industries, such as components and catalytic systems in contact with chlorinated organics. This material is especially suitable for use in high temperature, mixed with impurity inorganic acids and organic acids (such as formic acid and acetic acid), seawater corrosive environment. Some of the more common uses of Hastelloy C-22 include:
- Wire wound resistors.
- Bimetal contacts.
- Electric and electronic applications.
- Marine engineering.
- Chemical and hydrocarbon processing equipment.
- Gasoline and freshwater tanks.
- Crude petroleum stills.
- De-aerating heaters.
- Boiler feed water heaters and other heat exchangers.
- Pumps, shafts and fasteners.
- Industrial heat exchangers.
- Chlorinated solvents.
- Crude oil distillation towers.
- Meter and valve parts.
- Screw machine products.
- Oil refinery piping.
- Heat exchangers.
- Nuclear fuel production.
- Generator tubing.
- High temperature heating coils.
- Crude oil transfer piping.
- Propeller and pump shafts.
- Piping system.
- Heat exchange tubes.
- Pipe fittings.
Variety specifications and supply status of Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy C-22 (UNS N06022):
Yaang Pipe Industry can produce various specifications of Hastelloy C-22 seamless pipe, Hastelloy C-22 steel plate, Hastelloy C-22 round bar, Hastelloy C-22 forgings, Hastelloy C-22 flange, Hastelloy C-22 pipe fittings, Hastelloy C-22 welded pipe, Hastelloy C-22 steel strip, Hastelloy C-22 wire and supporting welding materials.
- Seamless pipe: solid solution + acid white, length can be set;
- Plate: solid solution, pickling, trimming;
- Welded pipe: solid solution acid white + RT% flaw detection;
- Forging: annealing + car polish; Bars are forged and rolled, surface polished or car polished;
- Strips are delivered after cold rolling, solid solution soft state, and deoxidized;
- Wire rods are finely ground in solid solution pickled disk or straight strips, solid solution straight strips Delivery in light state.
Source: China Hastelloy C-22 Flanges Manufcturer – Yaang Pipe Industry (www.steeljrv.com)
(Yaang Pipe Industry is a leading manufacturer and supplier of nickel alloy and stainless steel products, including Super Duplex Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Stainless Steel Pipe. Yaang products are widely used in Shipbuilding, Nuclear power, Marine engineering, Petroleum, Chemical, Mining, Sewage treatment, Natural gas and Pressure vessels and other industries.)
If you want to have more information about the article or you want to share your opinion with us, contact us at email@example.com
Please notice that you might be interested in the other technical articles we’ve published: