Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy W (UNS N10004)
What is Hastelloy W?
Hastelloy W alloy is a kind of nickel base superalloy composed of nickel, molybdenum, chromium, cobalt and other elements. The nickel content of Hastelloy W alloy is about 60%. Hastelloy W is a kind of solid solution strengthening alloy, which is mainly used for welding of dissimilar alloys. It can be used for straight cutting length wire of gas tungsten arc welding, layer wound wire of gas shielded metal arc welding and covered electrode. The properties of dissimilar welded joints made of alloy w depend on the alloy to which they are connected, but they are usually used in various combinations. It is also produced in sheet and sheet form for structural applications below 760 ° C (1400 ° f).
Types of Hastelloy
- Hastelloy B-3 nickel molybdenum alloy has excellent corrosion resistance in reducing environment
- The upgraded version of Hastelloy B-3: B-3 has excellent corrosion resistance to hydrochloric acid at any temperature and concentration
- Hastelloy C-4: good thermal stability, good toughness and corrosion resistance at 650-1040 ℃
- Hastelloy C-22: has better uniform corrosion resistance than C-4 and C-276 in oxidizing medium and excellent local corrosion resistance
- Hastelloy C-276: good resistance to oxidizing and moderate reducing corrosion, excellent resistance to stress corrosion
- Hastelloy C-2000: the most comprehensive corrosion resistant alloy with excellent uniform corrosion resistance in oxidation and reduction environments
- Hastelloy G-35: the upgraded product of G-30 has better corrosion resistance and thermal stability, and has excellent performance in phosphoric acid and other strong oxidizing mixed acid media with high chromium content
- Hastelloy X: combined with the characteristics of high strength, oxidation resistance and easy processing, each of the above grades has its own specific chemical composition, mechanical properties and strong points, so we can’t generalize the characteristics of Hastelloy.
Hastelloy alloy is mainly divided into three series B, C and G. it is mainly used in iron-based Cr Ni or Cr Ni Mo stainless steel, non-metallic materials and other occasions with strong corrosive medium.
In order to improve the corrosion resistance and cold and hot working properties of Hastelloy, three major improvements have been made to Hastelloy:
- Series B: B → B-3 (00ni70mo28) → B-3
- Series C: C → C-276 (00cr16mo16w4) → C-4 (00cr16mo16) → C-22 (00cr22mo13w3) → C-2000 (00cr20mo16)
- G Series: G → G-3 (00cr22ni48mo7cu) → G-30 (00cr30ni48mo7cu)
- The most widely used materials are N10004 (B-3), N10276 (C-276), N10004 (C-22), N06455 (C-4) and N06985 (G-3)
Chemical Composition of Hastelloy W (UNS N10004)
|The Chemical Composition of Hastelloy W, %|
Physical Properties of Hastelloy W (UNS N10004)
Mechanical Properties of Hastelloy W (UNS N10004)
Tensile Strength, min.
Yield Strength, min.
Hastelloy W wires
Annealing of Hastelloy W (UNS N10004)
The wrought bar form of this alloy may be annealed at 2165 F for 15 minutes, followed by water quench.
Welding of Hastelloy W (UNS N10004)
Used as a weld filler metal by all conventional welding methods.
Heat treatment of Hastelloy W (UNS N10004)
The alloy is solid-solution-strengthened and, as such, is not heat treatable. Appropriate heat treatment would be that of the metals being welded.
Application areas of nickel-based alloy Hastelloy W (UNS N10004):
Used as a weld metal filler rod for the joining by welding of dissimilar alloys in the nickel-base high temperature, high strength families. The alloy is sometimes used in wrought bar form for high temperature applications. Some of the more common uses of Hastelloy W include:
- Wire wound resistors.
- Bimetal contacts.
- Electric and electronic applications.
- Marine engineering.
- Chemical and hydrocarbon processing equipment.
- Gasoline and freshwater tanks.
- Crude petroleum stills.
- De-aerating heaters.
- Boiler feed water heaters and other heat exchangers.
- Pumps, shafts and fasteners.
- Industrial heat exchangers.
- Chlorinated solvents.
- Crude oil distillation towers.
- Meter and valve parts.
- Screw machine products.
- Oil refinery piping.
- Heat exchangers.
- Nuclear fuel production.
- Generator tubing.
- High temperature heating coils.
- Crude oil transfer piping.
- Propeller and pump shafts.
- Piping system.
- Heat exchange tubes.
- Pipe fittings.
Variety specifications and supply status of Nickel-based super alloy: Hastelloy W (UNS N10004):
Yaang Pipe Industry can produce various specifications of Hastelloy W seamless pipe, Hastelloy W steel plate, Hastelloy W round bar, Hastelloy W forgings, Hastelloy W flange, Hastelloy W pipe fittings, Hastelloy W welded pipe, Hastelloy W steel strip, Hastelloy W wire and supporting welding materials.
- Seamless pipe: solid solution + acid white, length can be set;
- Plate: solid solution, pickling, trimming;
- Welded pipe: solid solution acid white + RT% flaw detection;
- Forging: annealing + car polish; Bars are forged and rolled, surface polished or car polished;
- Strips are delivered after cold rolling, solid solution soft state, and deoxidized;
- Wire rods are finely ground in solid solution pickled disk or straight strips, solid solution straight strips Delivery in light state.
Source: China Hastelloy W Flanges Manufcturer – Yaang Pipe Industry (www.steeljrv.com)
(Yaang Pipe Industry is a leading manufacturer and supplier of nickel alloy and stainless steel products, including Super Duplex Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Stainless Steel Pipe. Yaang products are widely used in Shipbuilding, Nuclear power, Marine engineering, Petroleum, Chemical, Mining, Sewage treatment, Natural gas and Pressure vessels and other industries.)
If you want to have more information about the article or you want to share your opinion with us, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please notice that you might be interested in the other technical articles we’ve published: