Nickel-based super alloy: Monel K-500 (UNS N05500)
What is Monel K-500?
Monel K-500 (UNS N05500/DIN W.Nr. 2.4375/Alloy K-500) is a kind of corrosion resistance with the largest amount, the most extensive use and excellent comprehensive performance alloy. The alloy has excellent corrosion resistance in hydrofluoric acid and fluorine gas medium, as well as in hot concentrated alkali solution. Monel K-500 (UNS N05500) is mainly composed of 30% Cu and 63% Ni with a small amount of Fe (1% – 2%), compared with Monel 400, Al and Ti are added.
Monel K-500 is suitable for working under the geological exploitation conditions of high sulfur and high wax reservoirs. Since the alloy has no plastic brittle transition temperature, it is very suitable for all kinds of low temperature equipment. Monel K-500 alloy not only has excellent mechanical properties such as high strength, corrosion resistance and non-magnetic, but also has the same corrosion resistance as Monel 400. It can be used as pump shaft material.
ASTM B865 Monel K-500 Forged Elbow 1″ 3000#
Chemical Composition of Monel K-500 (UNS N05500)
Physical Properties of Monel K-500 (UNS N05500)
|Density||Melting Range||Specific Heat||Electrical Resistivity|
Mechanical Properties of Monel K-500 (UNS N05500)
|Tensile Strength, min.||Yield Strength, min.||Elongation, min.||Hardness, min.|
The machinability of Monel K-500
The best machinability of this alloy is annealed. It can be processed in the aging state, but the best way is to be as close to finishing as possible in the annealed state. Then aging and final processing are carried out. A very slight shrinkage in size occurs during aging. In general, the processing of this alloy in the annealed state is similar to that of austenitic (300 Series) stainless steel.
Nickel and cobalt based corrosion, temperature and wear resistant alloys, such as Monel K500, are classified as moderate to difficult in machining, but it should be emphasized that these alloys can be processed at a satisfactory rate using conventional production methods. During machining, these alloys work hardening rapidly, generate high heat during cutting, weld to the tool surface, and have high resistance to metal removal due to their high shear strength.
Forming of Monel K-500
- The alloy has good ductility and is readily formed in the annealed condition by standard means.
Welding of Monel K-500
- All of the conventional welding techniques may be used on this alloy. However it is best to weld with the alloy in the annealed condition and the finished weldment should then be stress-relief annealed. Exposure to temperatures in the age-hardening range (900 F to 1100 F) should be avoided except when the final age-hardening treatment is to be accomplished.
Hot working of Monel K-500
- The hot work temperature range is 2100 F to 1600 F. Water quench immediately after hot working and do not allow to cool below 1600 F.
Cold working of Monel K-500
- The alloy has good ductility and may be cold worked by standard means.
Aging of Monel K-500
- For annealed, or slightly cold-worked, material age-hardening is done at 1125 F for 16 hours and then furnace cooling at a rate of 15 F to 25 F per hour down to a temperature of 900 F. Cooling rate from 900 F to room temperature is not critical. For severely cold-worked material aging should be done at 1000 F for at least 6 hours and then furnace cooled to 900 F at the 15 F to 25 F per hour rate.
- Anneal at 1900 F and water quench.
- The alloy may be annealed after cold working and also may be precipitation-hardened by an aging heat treatment.
Application areas of nickel-based alloy Monel K-500 (UNS N05500):
Monel K500 has the advantages of high strength and corrosion resistance. Its typical applications are pump shaft, impeller, propeller shaft, valve components of ship and offshore drilling tower, bolt connection, oil well drill collar and instrument components of oil and gas production. Due to its high strength and low corrosion rate in high-speed seawater, it is especially suitable for centrifugal pumps in marine industry.
Monel K-500 (UNS N05500) nickel base alloy has the same corrosion resistance as alloy 400, but has higher mechanical strength and hardness. It has good thermal corrosion resistance and long-term structural stability. It is mainly used to manufacture turbine blades and gas turbine blades with working temperature below 750 ℃ on aeroengines, fasteners and springs on ships, pump and valve parts on chemical equipment, and scraping blades on paper-making equipment.
Monel K500 is nonmagnetic. Monel K500 should be annealed during welding and then stress relieved before aging. Some of the more common uses of Monel K-500 include:
- Wire wound resistors.
- Bimetal contacts.
- Electric and electronic applications.
- Marine engineering.
- Chemical and hydrocarbon processing equipment.
- Gasoline and freshwater tanks.
- Crude petroleum stills.
- De-aerating heaters.
- Boiler feed water heaters and other heat exchangers.
- Pumps, shafts and fasteners.
- Industrial heat exchangers.
- Chlorinated solvents.
- Crude oil distillation towers.
- Meter and valve parts.
- Screw machine products.
- Oil refinery piping.
- Heat exchangers.
- Nuclear fuel production.
- Generator tubing.
- High temperature heating coils.
- Crude oil transfer piping.
- Propeller and pump shafts.
- Piping system.
- Heat exchange tubes.
- Pipe fittings.
Variety specifications and supply status of Nickel-based super alloy: Monel K-500 (UNS N05500):
Yaang Pipe Industry can produce various specifications of Monel K-500 seamless pipe, Monel K-500 steel plate, Monel K-500 round bar, Monel K-500 forgings, Monel K-500 flange, Monel K-500 pipe fittings, Monel K-500 welded pipe, Monel K-500 steel strip, Monel K-500 wire and supporting welding materials.
- Seamless pipe: solid solution + acid white, length can be set;
- Plate: solid solution, pickling, trimming;
- Welded pipe: solid solution acid white + RT% flaw detection;
- Forging: annealing + car polish; Bars are forged and rolled, surface polished or car polished;
- Strips are delivered after cold rolling, solid solution soft state, and deoxidized;
- Wire rods are finely ground in solid solution pickled disk or straight strips, solid solution straight strips Delivery in light state.
Source: China Monel K-500 Flanges Manufcturer – Yaang Pipe Industry (www.steeljrv.com)
(Yaang Pipe Industry is a leading manufacturer and supplier of nickel alloy and stainless steel products, including Super Duplex Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Stainless Steel Pipe. Yaang products are widely used in Shipbuilding, Nuclear power, Marine engineering, Petroleum, Chemical, Mining, Sewage treatment, Natural gas and Pressure vessels and other industries.)
If you want to have more information about the article or you want to share your opinion with us, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please notice that you might be interested in the other technical articles we’ve published: