Nickel-based super alloy: Monel R-405 (UNS N04405)
What is Monel R-405?
Monel R-405 (also known as UNS N04405) is a nickel copper alloy, which is part of Monel series superalloys. Monel 405 is usually present in the form of sheet, strips, rods, bars and wires, which improves machinability due to its high sulfur content. In addition, the superalloy has excellent corrosion resistance and high strength. These properties make it very suitable for difficult marine and chemical environments. It is also resistant to sulfuric acid and performs well at sub zero temperatures.
Due to the increase of sulfur content, it has better processability than Monel 400. Its corrosion resistance and physical properties are similar to those of Monel 400, but the mechanical properties are slightly different from those of Monel 400.
Monel R-405 (UNS N04405) wires
Chemical Composition of Monel R-405 (UNS N04405)
Physical Properties of Monel R-405 (UNS N04405)
Mechanical Properties of Monel R-405 (UNS N04405)
|Material||Form and Condition||Tensile Strength Ksi||Yield Strength (0.2% Offset) Ksi||Elongation (%)||Hardness Rockwell B|
|Alloy 405 Rod and Bar||Annealed||70-85||25-40||50-35||60-76|
|Alloy 405 Rod and Bar||Cold- Drawn, As- Drawn||85-115||50-105||35-15||85-23C|
|Alloy 405 Rod and Bar||Hot Finished||75-90||35-60||45-30||72-86|
Corrosion Resistant of Monel R-405 (UNS N04405)
Like Monel alloy 400, Monel R-405 is hardly affected by chloride stress corrosion cracking in typical environments. Generally speaking, it has good corrosion resistance in reducing environment, but poor in oxidation condition. It does not work in oxidizing acids such as nitric acid and nitrite. Nevertheless, it is resistant to most alkali, salt, water, food, organic matter and atmospheric conditions at normal and high temperatures.
The corrosion resistance of Monel 400 and R-405 is similar to that of nickel, but the maximum working pressure and temperature are higher, and the cost is lower due to their superior processing ability.
Characteristics of Monel R-405 (UNS N04405)
Corrosion resistance in a wide range of marine and chemical environments. From pure water to non oxidizing inorganic acids, salts and bases.
- Monel R405 is more resistant to nickel than copper under reducing conditions and more resistant to copper under oxidizing conditions, but it does show a better anti reduction medium than oxidation.
- Good mechanical properties from sub zero temperature to about 480 C.
- It has good tolerance to sulfuric acid and hydrofluoric acid. However, aeration increases the corrosion rate. It can be used to treat hydrochloric acid, but the presence of oxidized salt will greatly accelerate the corrosion.
- It is resistant to neutral, alkaline and acid salts, but the resistance to oxidizing acid salts (such as ferric chloride) is poor.
- Excellent resistance to chloride stress corrosion cracking.
The machinability of Monel R-405
Machinability is good. High-speed tool steels should be used with oil base lubricants. Turning is done at speeds of 140-160 surface feet per minute with a feed rate of approximately 0.004 in./revolution. Drilling is done at 50-65 surface feet per min. with feed of 0.003 in./revolution.
Forming of Monel R-405
- The alloy is especially adaptable to screw machine operations.
Welding of Monel R-405
Hot working of Monel R-405
- Hot working is not recommended.
Cold working of Monel R-405
- The alloy is readily cold worked, especially in screw machine operations.
Hardening of Monel R-405
- Hardens due to cold working only.
- Anneal at 1700 F and air cool. A stress relief only anneal may be done at 1000 F for 1-1/2 hour followed by air cool.
- The alloy may be annealed but does not otherwise respond to heat treating.
Application areas of nickel-based alloy Monel R-405 (UNS N04405):
Due to its good mechanical and physical properties, Monel R405 nickel alloy is widely used in industrial fields. Some of the more common uses of Monel R405 include:
- Wire wound resistors.
- Bimetal contacts.
- Electric and electronic applications.
- Marine engineering.
- Chemical and hydrocarbon processing equipment.
- Gasoline and freshwater tanks.
- Crude petroleum stills.
- De-aerating heaters.
- Boiler feed water heaters and other heat exchangers.
- Pumps, shafts and fasteners.
- Industrial heat exchangers.
- Chlorinated solvents.
- Crude oil distillation towers.
- Meter and valve parts.
- Screw machine products.
- Oil refinery piping.
- Heat exchangers.
- Nuclear fuel production.
- Generator tubing.
- High temperature heating coils.
- Crude oil transfer piping.
- Propeller and pump shafts.
- Piping system.
- Heat exchange tubes.
- Pipe fittings.
Variety specifications and supply status of Nickel-based super alloy: Monel R-405 (UNS N04405):
Yaang Pipe Industry can produce various specifications of Monel R-405 seamless pipe, Monel R-405 steel plate, Monel R-405 round bar, Monel R-405 forgings, Monel R-405 flange, Monel R-405 pipe fittings, Monel R-405 welded pipe, Monel R-405 steel strip, Monel R-405 wire and supporting welding materials.
- Seamless pipe: solid solution + acid white, length can be set;
- Plate: solid solution, pickling, trimming;
- Welded pipe: solid solution acid white + RT% flaw detection;
- Forging: annealing + car polish; Bars are forged and rolled, surface polished or car polished;
- Strips are delivered after cold rolling, solid solution soft state, and deoxidized;
- Wire rods are finely ground in solid solution pickled disk or straight strips, solid solution straight strips Delivery in light state.
Source: China Monel R-405 Flanges Manufcturer – Yaang Pipe Industry (www.steeljrv.com)
(Yaang Pipe Industry is a leading manufacturer and supplier of nickel alloy and stainless steel products, including Super Duplex Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Stainless Steel Pipe. Yaang products are widely used in Shipbuilding, Nuclear power, Marine engineering, Petroleum, Chemical, Mining, Sewage treatment, Natural gas and Pressure vessels and other industries.)
If you want to have more information about the article or you want to share your opinion with us, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please notice that you might be interested in the other technical articles we’ve published:
- Nickel Alloy: Monel 400 (UNS N04400)
- Nickel-based super alloy: Monel 401 (UNS N04401)