What are Specialty Flanges?
A special flange is a component with a flanged joint that has the same bolting structure as a standard flange, but a special flange has its own characteristics.
There are still a number of specialty flange such as:
- Orifice Flanges generally come with either Raised Faces or RTJ (Ring Type Joint) facings.
- Long Weld Neck Flange is normally referred to as the high hub flange.
- Expander Flange is using a separate reducer-welding neck flange combination.
- Anchor flange is a device installed on a pipeline to combat axial movement.
- Spectacle Blind Flange consist of a connected ring (spacer) and a plate (spade).
- Reducing Flange is used on projects that require the fitting together of different sized pipes.
- Weldoflange / Nipoflange is a combination of a Welding Neck flange and a supposedly Weldolet or Nipolet.
Material Grades and Performance
Custom pipe flanges can be manufactured from a wide variety of materials and material grades.
Carbon steel is a popular solution, as are stainless steel and specialty alloys, depending upon the industry.
- Carbon Steel flanges – the main material is carbon steel flange or end flange connectors.
- Stainless Steel flanges – F304 F304L F316 F316L 316Ti, Copper etc.
- Alloy Steel flanges– accord to ASTM A182 F1, F5a, F9, F11, F12, F22, F91
Figure-8 Blanks (Spectacle Flange)
A figure-8 blank (also called a Spectacle Blind Flange) is+ a pressure-retaining plate with one solid end and one open end connected with a web or tie bar.
- Size: 1/2” to 60”, DN 12mm to DN 1500mm
- Pressure class: Class 150 to Class 2,500, PN 2.5 to PN 250
- Facing: RF / RTJ
A spectacle flange is a specialty flange made of two metal discs attached in the middle by a small section of steel. Spectable flanges get their name because they look like a pair of reading glasses, or spectacles. Spectacle flanges, also known as spectacle blind flanges, are most commonly used on piping systems that need to be separated regularly or where the flow through the systems is regularly stopped. One end of the spectacle flange is solid, while the other end has a hole in the center. The spectacle flange can be rotated to place either the solid or hollow end within the pipe system, thereby opening or closing the flow.
For pipe Flanges-regularly seperated for isolation, maintenance or reasons, a spectacle extrudes Solution. Typically, spec blinds was mounted in the open position so-your flow pipe operates and is normally. Blinds is mounted onto one of the $number so is need to isolate a, it ‘ s easy!
Advantages of Spectacle Flanges
- Spectacle flanges require no welding for installation
- Spectacle flanges from Yaang Steel Flange have a wide range of pressure tolerances
- Yaang Steel will manufacture spectacle flanges to your specifications
1. Spectacle blind 2.Flanges 3.Gaskets 4.Stud bolts
Spectical blind flange classes
- 150# RF Flange Rating
- 300# RF Flange Rating
- 600# RF Flange Rating
- 900# RF Flange Rating
A reducing flange consists of a flange with one specified diameter having a bore of a different and smaller, diameter. Except for the bore and hub dimensions, the flange will have dimensions of the larger pipe size.
Reducer flange draws :
There are several types of reducing flanges including weld-neck reducing flanges, slip-on reducing flanges and threaded reducing flanges.
Reducing Flange can be fabricated using a reducing spool with concentric or eccentric reducer & desired flange at each end OR it could be a single flange with internal reduced bore to connect different sized fittings on either sides.
How to connect reducing flange?
+ reducing slip-on flange
+ reducing weld neck flange
Weld neck flange and
reducing slip-on flange
- Weld Neck and Slip-On: Connect the flange sides that match the higher diameter of pipe and complete welding process. Repeat the welding process for the smaller size of pipe on the other side of the reducing flange. Now both sizes of pipes are connected through the reducing process. Take enough care to ensure that the inside diameters of the pipes are properly aligned with the ID of the Flange on both sides.
- Threaded Flange: First connect any one size of pipe by threading to one side of the flange. Make sure that the pipe is inserted to reach the required depth inside the flange. Repeat the same process for the other size of the pipe.
- In high pressure and temperature applications, welding is done on the outside of the pipe after threading to increase the strength of the joint.
Designed for use in changing diameters in a piping system. A reducing flange consists of a flange with one specified diameter having a bore of a different and smaller, diameter
Except for the bore and hub dimensions, the flange will have dimensions of the larger pipe size.
Yaang Steel can design and produce the reducing flange as per request , we can supply the reducing flange in various types including weld-neck reducing flange, slip on reducing flange and threaded reducing flange etc.
Except for the bore and hub dimensions, the flange will have dimensions of the larger pipe size. Reducing flanges are normally provided as one of three types:
- Welding Neck flange
- Slip-On flange
- Threaded flange
The number one feature of reducing flanges, is that they are a highly economical way to make transitions between pipes of different sizes.
Uses of Reducing Flanges:
- Reducing flanges are used in pipe-to-pipe connections.
- Reducing flanges are a little easier to bolt up than non-reducing flanges.
- They provide the most perfect solution when you need to connect different size flanges.
- These flanges are available in all types and pressures.
- Reducing flanges are fixed by welding, gluing or clamping flanges of equal dimensions provided with different connecting pieces.
- They offer the simplest and least expensive method of mating two different sized flanges.
Standards, Dimensions & Weight
- 300# Slip-On Orifice Flange
- 300# Weld Neck Orifice Flange
- 600# Weld Neck Orifice (raised face and RTJ ring type joint) Flange
- 900# Weld Neck Orifice (raised face and RTJ ring type joint) Flange
- 1500# Weld Neck Orifice (raised face and RTJ ring type joint) Flange
- 2500# Weld Neck Orifice (raised face and RTJ ring type joint) Flange
What is a Reducing Flange?
Reducing flanges are designed for when there is a change in the pipe size. The predominate flange (dimensions) matching the larger pipe size (NPT) but having a smaller bore matching the smaller pipe size (NPT). These flanges normally come in blind, slip-on, threaded and weld neck flanges.
They are available in all pressure classes and provide a good alternative to connecting two different sizes of pipe. This type of flange should not be used if an abrupt transition would create unwanted turbulence, such as at a pump.
Size: 1/2” to 60”, DN 12mm to DN 1500mm
Pressure class: Class 150 to Class 2,500, PN 2.5 to PN 250
Facing: RF / RTJ
Cabon steel: A105, A350 LF2
Stainless steel: A182 F304/F304L/F316/F316L/F321
Alloy steel: F11, F12
Uses and advantages of Reducing Flanges:
- Reducing Flanges provide the most perfect solution when you need to connect different sizes of flanges.
- They offer a simple and most economical method to join two pipes of different sizes.
- Available in various pressure classes up to #2500 class.
The Weldoflange and Nipoflange is a combination of a Welding Neck flange and a supposedly Weldolet or Nipolet.
Two different pipe branch connections
On the run pipe side a nipoflange is designed like a weldolet. That means the branch connection on the run pipe side is a welding connection. On the other side there it has a flange connection. The flange connection can be designed according to customers requirements (acc. To DIN or ANSI).
A nipoflange similar to ANSI B 16.9 or MSS-SP 97 is manufactured from forged material. That means a nipoflange is a forged fitting without welding seam.
WAZ (acceptance test certificate)
Of course, you may obtain a standard cert. 3.1 with each delivery. Upon request, we are able to deliver a cert 3.2 (normally TüV or other inspection institutions). In the cert. 3.1, the chemical consistenc and the physical characteristics of the material are listed.
Standard and special materials
Anthermo is able to deliver nipoflanges in standard materials. Upon request special materials are also deliverable.
The Weldoflange and Nipoflange is a combination of a Welding Neck flange and a supposedly Weldolet or Nipolet. The 2 components are manufactured in one piece, and not welded. These flanges are primarily in Branch connections. Furthermore, they have an expanded range of special flanges, fittings and branch connections.
Size: 1/2″ NB TO 24″ NB.
Class : 150#, 300#, 400 #, 600#, 900#, 1500# & 2500#
Flanges available with NACE MR 01-75
Packing: No Fumigate or Fumigate Plywood/Wood Pallet or Case
Surface Treatment: Anti-rust Oil, Transparent/Yellow/Black Anti-rust Paint,Zinc,Hot dipped Galvanized.
Orifice flange for run installation should be so constructed, machined and attached to the that the inner surface of the passage extends through the orifice flange so that there is no recess at the orifice plate.
Orifice flanges are used instead of the standard pipe flanges when orifice plate or flow nozzle is used. The basic purpose for this is to measuring the flow rate of either gases or liquids in the respective pipeline.
These flanges are used in various industrial applications and are available in various sizes and materials.
DATASHEETS AND DIMENSIONAL INFORMATION
Orifice Flange manufacturer Yaang Steel supplies Orifice Flanges, Plate Flanges,
- ANSI 300 Flange – Orifice, Weld Neck, ANSI Class 300, B16.36 (in)
- ANSI 400 Flange – Orifice, Weld Neck, ANSI Class 400, B16.36 (in)
- ANSI 600 Flange – Orifice, Weld Neck, ANSI Class 600, B16.36 (in)
- ANSI 900 Flange – Orifice, Weld Neck, ANSI Class 900, B16.36 (in)
- ANSI 1500 Flange – Orifice, Weld Neck, ANSI Class 1500, B16.36 (in)
- ANSI 2500 Flange – Orifice, Weld Neck, ANSI Class 2500, B16.36 (in)
The range of orifice flanges covers all standard sizes and ranges, and all common flange materials. Flanges are available in Welding Neck, Slip On, and Threaded form, and are typically supplied with two 1/2″ NPT tappings in each flange.
ASME B16.36 covers Dimensions and dimensional tolerances from orifice flanges (similar to those covered in ASME B16.5) that have orifice pressure differential connections.
Coverage is limited to the following flanges:
- WELDING NECK CLASSES 300, 400, 600, 900, 1500, 2500
- SLIP ON CLASS 300
- THREADED CLASS 300
Advantages of Orifice Flanges:
- It is used for measuring the fluid flow rate in the pipe.
- It eliminates drilling and making bores on the pipes for inserting instrumentation probes.
- These are cost saving devices to measure flow rate compared to other expensive methods.
- Gives accurate readings of flow rate and very reliable.
An Expander Flange is a type of welding neck pipe flange used to increase pipe size at the flange connection (see sketch).
The Expander Flange is normally referred to as the high hub flange. It is designed to transfer stresses to the pipe, thereby reducing high stress concentrations at the base of the flange.
An Expander Flange is a type of welding neck pipe flange used to increase pipe size at the flange connection (see sketch). Expander flanges are also known as a cost effective alternative to using a separate reducer-welding neck flange combination.
Expander flanges are also known as a cost effective alternative to using a separate reducer-welding neck flange combination. The expander flange is available in a range of sizes and materials.
An expander flange is similar to a weld neck flange but with the hub expanding to a larger size (one or two sizes). If you have limited space or just need to connect to a larger pipe size, it provides a convenient way for equipment, pumps and valves. It can replace the use of a flange and reducer. Pressure ratings and dimensions are in accordance with ANSI/ASME B16.5.
Applications Of Expander Flanges
The expander flange can be used to connect pipe to pumps, compressors and Valves.
- Expander Flanges are used in Chemical and petrochemical processing.
- Expander Flanges are used in electronics. Expander Flanges are used in processing equipment for maintaining product purity in handling foods, synthetic fibers.
- Expander Flanges are used in marine and offshore engineering.
- The expander flange is available in a range of sizes and materials.
An anchor flange is a device installed on a pipeline to combat axial movement. Welded into the line and encased in concrete, they immobilize the pipe at predetermined locations and transfer built-up stresses to external structures. For example, in cross-county pipelines end forces of considerable magnitude are generated by internal pressure and temperature changes. A 24″ O.D. x 0.594″ wall pipe in a pipeline operating at 1100 psi and subjected to a 90° rise in metal temperature, for example, will develop total thrust of 1,000,000 lbs. Unless these forces are properly controlled, they can damage pumps, valves and other close-tolerance equipment. Anchor Flange may be used to secure subsea piping and risers to platform structures.
The Anchor flange is designed for immobilization of high pressure pipe lines.
The Anchor flange is a one-piece combination reducer and welding neck flange designed expressly for effecting pipe size increases at flanged connections to pumps, valves, compressors and other equipment. It provides a more compact, more efficient and frequently a more economical means than is permitted by the conventional two-piece combination of a concentric reducer and welding neck flange.
Anchor flange features:
Prevents movement of the pipe due to thermal changes and external forces
Normally embedded in a concrete thrust block to spread to load over a large surface
Designed for the unique operating conditions of the pipeline
Quality Standard for Anchor Flanges
High quality Anchor Flanges all made and controlled to the relevant standards such as: ASME, ASTM, BS and DIN/WERKSTOFFE.
Sizes for Anchor Flanges
- All Anchor Flanges are available available in sizes from 1/4” through to any size.
- Wall Thickness for Anchor Flanges
- Schedule 5s through to Schedule XXS and heavier.
What is An anchor flange?
An anchor flange is a device installed on a pipeline to combat axial movement. Resembling a collar, once it is attached to a pipe, the anchor flange is commonly anchored into a concrete foundation. Typically placed onto a section of pipeline as it makes a turn or is at a bridge crossing, the anchor flange is used to prevent the pipeline from moving.
Application of An anchor flange
As we know, the steel piping system could move and shake when the liquid flowing through the pipe, especially when the piping system is turning in some places, the liquid will push the turning in the direction of liquids flowing. Another application of the anchor flange, there may bring expansion movements when temperature is changing in the piping system.
Custom Anchor flange
Anchor flange are corrosion resistant and have a wide variety of uses. We carry a variety of threaded flanges, weld neck flanges and slip- on flanges and, of course, we can can custom build steel flanges to your specifications.
Long weld neck flange(LWN flange) is also call integral flange, it means a welding neck flange has a very long neck. Commonly, the welding neck flange has a tapered neck and a bevel end which is going to butt welding with the matching pipe. But the long weld neck flange, has a straight short pipe as the neck of a long weld neck flange.
The NW Long Weld Neck Flanges are the best designed butt-welded flange of those currently available becuase of its inherent structural value. It is expensive because of the design.
NW Long Weld Neck Flanges
Long welding neck flange, lwn flanges are similar to a standard Welding Neck flanges, but the “Neck” is considerably longer than other flanges. LWN flange is often used as a nozzle for a barrel or column. In addition, there are the type LWN Heavy Barrel (HB) and the Equal LWN Barrel (E); they have a different shape and a thicker “Wall”.
The long weld neck flange should be butt welded with the pipes, it means the neck dimensions is same with the matching pipe, same diameter and wall thickness , commonly the long weld has a plain end, not a bevel end for welding . Except the neck, the LWN flange has a same dimensions with the welding neck flange. In addition, there are also the type LWN Heavy Barrel (HB) and the Equal LWN Barrel (E); they have a different shape and a thicker “Wall” which name is Nozzle .
Tube OD sizes: 3/8 to 2 inches
The NW Long Weld Neck Flange is normally referred to as the high hub flange. It is designed to transfer stresses to the pipe, thereby reducing high stress concentrations at the base of the flange.
The NW Long Weld Neck Flange is the best designed butt-welded flange of those currently available becuase of its inherent structural value. It is expensive because of the design.
Carbon steel: A105,SS400,SF440 RST37.2,S235JRG2,P250GH,C22.8
Stainless Steel: F304 F304L F316 F316L 316Ti, Copper etc.
Elastomer seal: >=1 x 10^-8 Torr – High vacuum
EVAC metal seal: >=1 x 10^-11 Torr – UHV
Viton: -20°C to 200°C
Silicone: -50°C to 230°C
Buna: -30°C to 110°C
EVAC metal seal: -270°C to 150°C
Source: China Flanges Manufacturer – Yaang Pipe Industry (www.steeljrv.com)
(Yaang Pipe Industry is a leading manufacturer and supplier of nickel alloy and stainless steel products, including Super Duplex Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Stainless Steel Pipe. Yaang products are widely used in Shipbuilding, Nuclear power, Marine engineering, Petroleum, Chemical, Mining, Sewage treatment, Natural gas and Pressure vessels and other industries.)
If you want to have more information about the article or you want to share your opinion with us, contact us at [email protected]
Please notice that you might be interested in the other technical articles we’ve published: